Friday, June 20, 2014

Important Issue, Please Read

This post today is a little different. It is not about a book I have read or an author that I love. This is about an important issue. Many of you do not know this but I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I am an advocate for speaking out and seeking help. It had come to my attention not to long ago that here in the wonderful state of North Carolina, sex offenders can be on social media.  What?! You ask. Why are "people", and I use the word loosely, allowed to be on these networks and prey on more victims?


When I went about researching this to find and answer, this is what I got.  By taking away their right to social media, we are taking away their right to free speech.


I loved how in that whole statement it was about the perpetrator's rights but never the victim's. Sexual predators are taking away the victim's rights. Their right to live. Their right to choose. Their right to be free. When you are sexually assaulted in any way it strips you of those rights. You have to fight for them back. But here a sex offender is allowed to have rights. Why?


So I took it upon myself to right my congress, governor and Senate. I hear back from one senator. They basically thanked me for writing but stated that it would be too costly to pursue this.


So while our government is wasting our money on trying to stop same-sex marriage, they can not spend a penny to stop sex offenders from being on social media. Wow government, it is good to see you have your priorities straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment