Tuesday, July 14, 2015

~Remembering My Mother~



I decided to take a detour from my normal posts. I want to give remembrance for my mother, Patsy Harding.

Today is July 14th and would have been my mother's 65th birthday. Sadly on December 10, 2014, my mother passed away. Birthdays were important to my mom. It was a day devoted to celebrating o e person. She always called us on our birthday and made our birthday cakes. At 35, I still looked forward to birthday cakes from my mom. Growing up we never had much but my mom always made birthdays special. On her birthday, we always told her how much we cared. We celebrated her day. So today I want to share a little bit about my mom with you.
 Many do not know my mom's story. Although if you had asked her, she would have told you. She was never ashamed. My mother was a domestic violence survivor. She battled fiercely to rise above the abuse and terror that her first husband created. She succeeded. She left him and took her four kids with her. Life was hard but we survived. The struggling we sustained were lessons that we can survive. That, no matter what, as a family we can succeed. My mother instilled that in us. She didn't care that she went without, as long as her family was taken care of, she was happy. This is something that my siblings and I carry into our adulthood. My mother was strong. She was the strongest woman I will ever know. My wish is that I can be half the woman that she was.
My mom strived to ensure her kids had what they needed. Even if that meant she went without. She worked hard everyday to make sure we were happy. I've never seen someone work as hard as her. She even walked to work for awhile when the car broke down. She never complained though. She just wanted to make sure we were happy.


My mother's death hit us hard. She was invincible in our eyes. We never thought the day would come and she would be gone. She didn't die from anything related to the domestic abuse she sustained years prior. My mother passed from liver failure and complications to her diabetes. I was there the day she passed. So were a lot of people who cared for her. It was painful to watch her pass but I know that if I was given the chance to do it again, I would never leave her side.


I strong believer in family, She loved her kids and grand-kids deeply.


My mom was my biggest fan. When I decided to return to school, she was my number one champion. It saddens me that she will not be present for my graduation next year but I know that she is there in spirit. 
Some f my favorite memories were the discussions we would have about gender and our society. We both love Sociology. We could spend hours debating about so many things. I miss our discussions. 
When it came to my mother, my biggest regret was never telling her how I felt. The abuse that we went through years prior, did a number on me. I feared telling others how I felt because I didn't want to be hurt. So telling someone that I loved them was hard. I told my mom that I loved her on December 5, 2014 and she passed 5 days later. I know that she heard me but a part of me will always wish I had said it sooner. My advice to those reading this is to not wait to tell others how you feel. Life is precious and unpredictable. We do not know what tomorrow holds for us. We do not know if we ever get those second chances. Live like today is your last. Laugh often. Love hard. 

My mother loved unconditionally. She knew no stranger. She befriended everyone. She was the most compassionate person I have ever known. 
Mom, I love you today more than yesterday. I'll love you tomorrow, always. I miss you everyday but I know that you are in a better place. 

My Mother My Angel

by Kathy J Parenteau

Once upon a time an angel held my hand,
She wiped away my tears and helped me understand.
Our time on earth is brief, there's lessons to be learned,
Each precious day God gives us another page is turned.
Every chapter full of memories, times of joy and tears,
Triumphs and defeats, through every passing year.
She loved us unconditionally, always by our side,
When no one else would listen, in her we could confide.
With gentle words of wisdom she led us on our way,
Down the paths of righteousness if ever we did stray.
She saw the light in everyone and gave with no regrets,
Always from her heart let's not forget.
Angels come in many forms, for me it is my mother,
With love I cannot say in words there'll never be another.
Every day I turn the page in my heart will ever remain,
Everything she taught me as I stroll down memory lane.
Thank you God for giving me the most priceless of all treasures,
Help my Lord to keep alive her memory here forever.
I pray that I can some day be everything she hoped I would,
That's she smiling down from heaven knowing she did good.
As we gather here today there's no ending to her story,
Another chapter has begun full of grace and glory.
God's called her to his heavenly home, part of his great plan,
Although it may be hard, we all must understand.
Faith is what is hoped for, things we cannot see,
Heaven is promised to all of us if only we believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment